There are so many reasons to LOVE August…
Summer is at its peak, schools out, the roads are clear of school traffic, you get to enjoy long evenings and alfresco dining and to top it all off there is a long weekend treat at the end of the month. This August we’ve got a whole host of exciting treats and events for you to get involved with. So whether you are planning a sizzling hot vacation overseas or an epic staycation … we’ve got you covered.
Have a wonderful month!
Jane, Lucy and The RSG Team x
This month we’ve teamed up with The Hoxton Hotel to offer you and one other friend a one night stay at The Hoxton Holborn! The competition is a celebration of our #HoxtonHolidays collab at CampHox in Croatia! Psst … we’ve shared the images of the collab on the rockettstgeorge.co.uk Instagram page!
As well as a one night stay at The Hoxton, Holborn up for grabs, you will also be treated to a breakfast bag and a complimentary Rockett St George Goodie Bag. HELL YES. The Hoxton, Holborn is one out of three hotels (Shoreditch, Holborn and Amsterdam) that offer not just a bed for the night, but a place where guests can hang out alongside the locals and submerse themselves in the neighbourhood with vibrant, welcoming public spaces. Each hotel has its own distinct mark, but no matter which location you stay in you can be sure to find the familiar Hoxton hustle.
Want in? Click the above link and answer one simple question to be in the chance to win a one night stay at The Hoxton Holborn for you and a friend!
Please note, that the booking must be made within three months of the winner being notified and you will be responsible for travel and additional expenses incurred. Hotel bookings within the 3 month period will not be accepted during blackout periods (London Fashion Week, major sporting events, Bank Holiday).
This month, Diana Gomez‘s latest collection is heading to the party capital at the legendary Pikes Hotel. Known for her colourful images that capture a sense of optimism, power and beauty portraying her sitters in a confident and engaging way, Diana Gomez is an RSG Favourite! So you can only imagine how thrilled we are to announce that we are EXCLUSIVELY selling a selection of Diana’s inspiring artwork that will feature in her latest exhibition!
Diana Gomez Prints Available Exclusively from Rockett St George: Dream Limited Edition Metallic Print By Diana Gomez (main image) £1,500.00 Power Limited Edition Metallic Print By Diana Gomez £1,500.00 Free Women Limited Edition Metallic Print By Diana Gomez £1,500.00 Challenge Limited Edition Metallic Print By Diana Gomez £1,500.00 Inspire Limited Edition Metallic Print By Diana Gomez £1,500.00
Diana’s latest exhibition is ‘Free Women‘ on display at Pikes Hotel and opening on the 24th of August. The Free Women exhibition will be a feminist-driven and autobiographical show consisting of life-size portraits and outdoor installations inspired by Diana’s charismatic, colourful and passionate world. Each photograph is an idealised image of key episodes of Diana’s life, altering the surroundings and adding light to each expression. With Pikes Hotel’s evocative history as the playground for the music elite, it provides a beautifully reflective and thought-provoking setting for Diana Gomez’s powerful and upbeat work.
So head down to Ibiza this August for sun, partying, epic art and guaranteed FUN.
Camí Sa Vorera, S/N, 07820 Sant Antoni de Portmany, Islas Baleares, Spain
Made famous in Copenhagen, Mother London has hit the capital serving ‘Italian Food Without the Nonsense’. Opening just over a week ago, this is a hot new eatery that has brought it’s signature sourdough pizza (made with seawater and baked in a wood oven fire) to London! Even better, because the dough is made with seawater it’s actually healthier than traditional pizza … do we need any more excuses to stuff ourselves silly with pizza?! We think not!
Located in the Circus West Village, Mother London is the second eatery to open after it’s founding restaurant in Copenhagen. Interestingly the founders were practically headhunted after many Londoners had visited the original eatery in Copenhagen and it had been featured in Time Out. With all of the buzz and excitement Battersea Power Station asked the owners to bring Mother to London as the only international brand…. how cool is that?!
Mother London is not, just a pizzeria though. Serving epic buffet-style brunches that will keep you going up for more (stretchy clothes recommended) and delicious rustic Italian dishes, Mother London is a must eat.
Mother LDN Restaurant, Sopwith Way, London, SW8 4NN
If you fancy spending your three-day weekend somewhere exotic and most importantly exciting, we’ve put together our top last minute holidays that will see the summer go with a bang!
A small city, with a lot to offer, Amsterdam is the ultimate bank holiday escape. Just over an hours flight from London, Amsterdam is an enchanting city with a hive of exhibitions, partying and delicious Dutch food (try the pesto cheese if you can … it’s UNREAL). Recommended hotels would include The Hoxton and Crane Hotel Faralda.
Whilst a little trip abroad is always a pleasure, you can have just as much fun at home! For us, Brighton is the city of culture, seaside air and quirky happenings! With so much to do recommendations include shopping in the North Lanes (a hive of vintage shops and flea markets), eating out in Kemp Town, spending the day on the beach and staying at the gorgeous Artist Residence Hotel.
Beautiful cobbled streets, historic buildings and plenty of culture to soak up, Prague is the place to be. Boasting the very best beer you’ve ever tried, spend the weekend exploring the city and visiting its super witty sculptures such as Proudy – a sculpture of two men peeing spelling out literary quotations! Top eateries include krobliha which sells killer doughnuts and We Are Burgers … the clue is in the name!
If you are desperate for some sun then Barcelona is the answer! A guaranteed scorcher, spend the weekend lying on the beach, gorging on paella, sipping sangrias and shopping at the Las Ramblas Markets! Recommended stays include the gorgeous Hotel Brummell and Soho House, Barcelona.
Soak in some relaxed Danish atmosphere on your bank holiday weekend. A city that can easily be walked or cycled in three days you can spend your time visiting Nyhaven, jumping on a travelling boat tour (a great way to see the whole city and hear about it’s history), wondering through Tivoli Gardens and visiting The Hay House for Scandinavian interior inspiration!
Europe’s biggest street festival is back for another weekend of frivolities and fun! A jam-packed weekender of I.N.S.A.N.E. partying … festivals just don’t get any better than Notting Hill Carnival!
Held over August bank holiday weekend from Sunday to Monday, the festival celebrates London’s Carribean communities multicultural past and present. On every year since 1964, you will be treated to a parade of carnival floats and music on both days with festival goers dressed head to toe in an array of exciting costumes in bright, wonderful colours! Whats more, your taste buds will be treated to sensational Caribbean food … from jerk chicken to a load of veggie dishes, drink and dance the festival away!
Whilst the day’s events are not to be missed, we think that the pre-parties and after parties are just as fantastic! Not for the faint hearted, keep an eye on Time Out’s Notting Hill Carnival guide for party announcements!
Notting Hill, W11, London
Photography Credit: Helen Maybanks
Okay, okay, we know you don’t want to spend the last month of the summer inside … but this is worth it … trust us. On at the National Theatre, you can also see the stunning performance of Tony Kushner’s multi-awarding play: Angels In America at your local cinema.
Eight hours long, but split into two separate performances Angels in America is a favourite of the critics – it really is theatre at its very best. The perfect excuse to dress up for an evening to see mind blowing performances the classic play tells the story of AIDs epidemic in 1980s America. Starring Andrew Garfield, Denise Gough, Nathan Lane, James McArdle and Russell Tovey this is a cultural experience that is not to be missed!
National Theatre, Upper Ground, South Bank, London SE1 9PX
When you’re hanging out by the poolside or tanning on the beach, there really is nothing better than a cocktail in hand and a good summer read. So load up your e-reader or top up your book supplies with our ten recommended reads.
- A Curious Career by Lynn Barber. An autobiography by the journalist, Lynn Barber, a curious career explores the changing world of journalism, telling the hilarious stories of celebrity interviews.
- The Power by Naomi Alderman. A fascinating read – women wake up one morning with omnipotent physical power. Sexism in reverse, The Power, is the best selling science fiction that quickly escalates into dystopia.
- Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. A cat-and-mouse suspense thriller, Mr Mercedes is an ex-policeman haunted by his unsolved cases.
- Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood. A glimpse into the life of Ernest Hemingway at a different perspective, Mrs Hemingway tells the story of his four wives is an astutely observed and intimate tale.
- The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. A dystopic society, where the American Government has been overthrown, women are deprived of their rights and some forced to breed – a compelling read, we also highly recommend watching the TV series that hit Channel 4 this summer.
- Inside Vogue by Alexandra Shulman. The diary of the longtime editor of Vogue, Alexandra Shulman, writes a raw and sharply observed depiction of working at Vogue in its 100th year.
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. The ‘instapoet’ whose poetry on instagram is hugely successful and this self-published book of poetry quickly became a US Bestseller. Split into four chapters, each section deals with a different pain. A beautiful poetry collection that heals the heart.
- The Girlfriend by Michelle Frances. A psychological thriller, The Girlfriend, maps the story of a terrible fall out between a mother and her son’s girlfriend with terrifying consequences.
- Make Your Bed By William H. McRaven. Did you know that simply making your bed in the morning can have transformative effects on your life and even the world?! Ex-Navy Seal, McRaven, shares his 10-life changing principles in this informative and engaging read.
- Warehouse Home: Industrial Inspiration For Twenty-First-Century Living by Sophie Bush. Queen of warehouse living, Sophie Bush has written her first book to show you how to incorporate the warehouse look into your home. A beautifully visual book with so much expert advice this may not be your traditional poolside read … but trust us… you won’t be able to put it down.